Types of Travel Bags with Names to Carry Luggage
Travel has evolved into a part and parcel of life whether you are traveling for work or recreationally. This has skyrocketed the demand for travel bags and manufacturers are constantly coming up with new designs in terms of convenience and organization. You can get a travel bag to fit your desired weight, and style, or to render any travel packing hacks. If you are having difficulty finding the right travel luggage, then our today’s discussion is bound to clear all your doubts.
Different Types of Travel Bags for Your Travel Needs
- Travel pack
- Wheeled Backpack
- Travel Totes
- Duffel Bags / Weekender
- Rolling Duffel Bags
- Rolling Luggage
- Hardside Luggage with Spinner Wheels
- Messenger Bag
- Laptop Bag
- Dopp Kit / Toiletry bag
- Garment Bag
- Fanny Pack
- Vintage Suitcase
- Travel Trunk
- Bucket bag
- Travel handbag with separate shoe compartment
- Packing Cubes Bag
1. Travel Pack / Backpack
It resembles a regular backpack with additional features like zip shoulder straps, hip belts, and multiple compartments to store your valuables. These are best suited for camping, backpacking, going on road trips, etc. You can get them in lightweight designs to conveniently store your luggage for 2-15 days.
When to carry : Backpacking, camping, road trips, and places without roads.
Size : 30cm to 55cm
Material : PVC, Polyester, Polyethylene, Dyecoshell fabric, Nylon, Leather
Best brand to buy : Amazon Basics, Hynes Eagle, Osprey, Witzman, Nomatic, Mountaintop, Mountain Warehouse
Website to buy : Amazon, Rei.com, Kohls, Walmart, Etsy, Target
Price : From $30 Up to $170
Pros : 1) Easy to carry, especially when climbing hills and stairs.
2) Even distribution of weight on both shoulders makes them comfortable all through.
Cons : 1) It can strain your back which may affect your posture if you carry too much load.
2) If the shoulder straps are not padded, you may experience inflammation and discomfort, especially if the bag is too heavy.
Most Popular Travel Backpack for Men & Women:
2. Wheeled Backpack
Blend in the compactness of a traditional backpack alongside the added plus of rolling it around like a suitcase with a wheeled backpack. These are an excellent choice for backpackers with heavy luggage. A spacious design helps move more items than regular backpacks. They feature wheels and shoulder straps for different terrains so that you can carry them while maneuvering thick crowds and even stroll them in the airport aisle. These are best suited for travelers who may need to use roads, airports, and other areas to access their traveling destinations.
When to carry : Airports, roads, and other areas to access their traveling destinations.
Size : 33cm to 57cm
Material : Polyester, Nylon
Best brand to buy : Matein, High Sierra, J World New York, Osprey, Kroser, Samsonite, Everest
Website to buy : Amazon, Target, Walmart, Kohls
Price : From $59 Up to $185
Pros : 1) Travelers can carry or drag the bag comfortably regardless of where they are.
2) They are made of more rigid materials to enhance durability.
Cons : Wheeled backpacks can be uncomfortable to carry with your back, especially on rough roads or places you cannot drag them as they’re heavier and bigger from the added wheels and frame.
Top Trending Wheeled Backpack for Men & Women:
3. Travel Totes
The oblong-shaped travel totes might feature either a crossbody or drawstring strap and sometimes both. Ease of convenience and high level of portability make them perfect for short-distance travel whether to the gym or even a weekend trip.
When to carry : Short trips, the gym, a day trip, or even a weekend trip if you’re a light packer.
Size : 27cm to 70cm
Material : Cotton, Canvas, Nylon, PU Leather
Best brand to buy : Marc Jacobs, Camtop, Madewell, Mosiso, Baggallini, Tumi, Longchamp
Website to buy : Amazon, Nordstromrack.com, Beistravel.com, Target, e-Bay, Macys, Walmart, Dillards.com
Price : From $23 Up to $179
Pros : 1) They’re oversized enough to take all your necessities. Ex. wallet, change of clothes, sunscreen, snacks etc.
2) Best for fashion enthusiasts as they can easily complement any style.
Cons : 1) A travel tote doesn’t have an internal organization. You end up wasting a lot of time finding stuff.
2) Not ideal for carrying large un-foldable items like shoes.
Best Selling Travel Totes for Men :
Best Selling Travel Totes for Women :
4. Duffel Bags / Weekender
This large cylindrical bag can either be made of leather or canvas. They usually feature hand, back, or shoulder straps to carry your bags around in different ways and often come with extra zippered pockets. The duffel bags are an absolute hit amongst gym enthusiasts and sports travelers for a day or weekend trip.
When to carry : A weekend trip, day trip, short trip, Sports travelers and gym enthusiasts
Size : 23cm to 160cm
Material : Nylon, Polyester, Canvas, Leather
Best brand to buy : Kipling, Yeti, Gonex, Eagle Creek, Thule, Patagonia
Website to buy : Canvas, Leather, Polyester, Cotton, Nylon, PVC, Mesh, TPU, Polyurethane
Price : From $18 Up to $660
Pros : 1) Duffel bags are a lot more convenient than lugging around a clunky suitcase.
2) Can be a perfect gym bag as it’s spacious, stylish, and convenient for people looking to carry big items like sports equipment.
Cons : 1) Not ideal for lengthy trekking trips as it can put a strain on your hands and shoulders.
2) It can quickly become disorganized, especially if you are using them in public places.
Most Popular Duffel Bags / Weekender for Men & Women:
5. Rolling Duffel Bags
Your search for a portable duffel bag ends with the rolling duffel bags which are bigger and more durable than a typical duffel bag. The USP of this bag lies in its spinner wheel which helps in moving it along as you move. The rolling duffel bags are perfect for adventure travel as you get to carry both bulky or odd-shaped gear on family or road trips.
When to carry : Adventure travel, bulky or odd shaped gear, family trips, road trips.
Size : 40 cm to 102 cm
Material : Leather, Nylon, Polyester, PVC, Mesh
Best brand to buy : Samsonite, Vera Bradley, Travelpro, Osprey, Rockland, Eagle Creek
Website to buy : Amazon, Target, Macys, Kohls, Walmart, Etsy
Price : From $60 Up to $435
Pros : 1) Rolling duffel bags are more spacious than duffel bags.
2) you can roll them all over town. They are spacious, stylish, and durable.
Cons : 1) Storing them can be an issue as they cannot be squeezed or folded up easily.
2) Rolling them up the stairs or rough terrain can be problematic when loaded.
Top Trending Rolling Duffel Bags for Men & Women:
6. Rolling Luggage
These are luggage bags that are accompanied by wheels so that travelers can pull them without much effort. Usually, they have a compact build for being carried in the airplane cabin. They can serve you during business travel, family visits, road trips, and travel to urban areas.
When to carry : Business travel, family visits, Road trips, travel to urban areas.
Size : 23 cm to 80 cm
Material : Polyester, ABS material, PVC, Mesh, Polycarbonate
Best brand to buy : TravelPro, Samsonite, Amazon Basics, Tumi, Briggs & Riley, Dlsey Paris
Website to buy : Amazon, Rei.com, Walmart, e-Bay, Kohls, Poshmark, Macys
Price : From $47 Up to $600
Pros : They come in all sizes, are pretty durable, and are designed for the basic traveler.
Cons : Pulling a bag behind you can put pressure on your joints and wrists, and be pretty uncomfortable if you’ve got to haul it a long distance.
Best Selling Rolling Luggage for Men & Women :
7. Hardside Luggage with Spinner Wheels
Traveling is bound to become more convenient and comfortable with hard-side luggage with spinner wheels. The surface of these bags is made of tough tarpaulin and ABS plastic making them more durable and weather-resistant than their peers. Adventure enthusiasts who are planning to camp outdoors can keep their belongings organized and protected from different weather elements with these bags.
When to carry : Staying organized, protecting sensitive and fragile items, and rainy and snowy weather!
Size : 24 cm to 77 cm
Material : ABS material, Mesh, Polycarbonate
Best brand to buy : Samsonite, Travelpro, AmazonBasics, Kenneth Cole Reaction, Delsey Paris, Coolife
Website to buy : Amazon, Kohls, Target, Walmart, Americantourister.com, eBay, Poshmark
Price : From $64 Up to $599
Pros : 1) The spinner wheels are great for easy transport that’s softer on your joints and muscles, and usually feel way lighter than pulling soft luggage.
2) They come in different sizes and are organized into compartments for keeping different items.
Cons : 1) Hardside bags aren’t as flexible as soft luggage, and some people don’t like that you have to pack the two halves individually.
2) They also don’t stack easily or squish into small spaces.
8. Messenger Bag
Also known as courier bags, these are satchels with cross-body straps. Travelers don’t need to hold them which is why they are preferred while traveling by bus, train, etc. They lie either across the side or lower back for fostering easy accessibility. The messenger bags are perfect for bikers and those wishing to carry a less pretentious briefcase to school, business, college, work, travel, overnight trips, etc.
When to carry : People who bike or want a less pretentious briefcase. Good for school, college, business, work, travel, overnight, etc.
Size : 32 cm to 47 cm
Material : Cotton, Canvas, Leather, Polyester, Polyurethane
Best brand to buy : Prada, Kenneth Cole Reaction, Rothco, Fossil, Samsonite
Website to buy : Amazon, Macys, Walmart, Poshmark, eBay, Zappos
Price : From $26 Up to $99
Pros : Messenger bags are great for easily accessing your items since they lay across your lower back or side, and are usually secured with a buckle, clasp, or zipper.
Cons : It can put a strain on your shoulders if you carry heavy items for too long as they don’t distribute weight evenly.
Most Popular Messenger Bag for Men :
9. Laptop Bag
Just as the name suggests, these bags can keep your iPads, laptops, and other electronic devices secured and scratch-free as you embark on work trips or take your computer around town. They feature extra padded zippered inner compartments and additional interior compartments for carrying your electronics and accessories safely.
When to carry : Work trips or taking your computer around town. Travelers who need a dedicated laptop compartment.
Size : 31 cm to 46 cm
Material : Nylon, Polyester, PU leather, Canvas
Best brand to buy : Swissgear, Timbuk2, AmazonBasics, Herschel, Kate Spade New York
Website to buy : Amazon, Target, Walmart, eBay, Poshmark, Macys, Etsy
Price : From $15 Up to $189
Pros : They make traveling with gadgets easy and organized.
Cons : It is a small bag which means extra luggage, especially if you need to bring a rolling suitcase along.
Top Trending Laptop Bag for Men & Women:
10. Dopp Kit / Toiletry Bag
A Dopp kit is a large soft pouch that resembles a saddle bag with a single open pocket. It features multiple small compartments on the inside to store your shampoo, toothbrush, soap, and other toiletries. A Dopp kit can help you look more organized compared to throwing in your toiletries haphazardly next to your clothes.
When to carry : Sharp tools. Any type of traveler. You will always need toiletries to maintain personal hygiene even as you travel. The bag helps keep them organized.
Size : 21 cm to 36 cm
Material : Leather, Mesh, Canvas, Nylon, Polyester
Best brand to buy : Peak Design, Bagsmart, Tumi, Sea to Summit, Mossio
Website to buy : Amazon, Nordstrom.com, Target, Zappos, Macys, Poshmark, eBay
Price : From $11 Up to $95
Pros : It helps you look more stylish and organized than wrapping your toiletries in a polythene bag or throwing them haphazardly next to your clothes.
Cons : Sometimes things can leak or spill everywhere. Make sure you choose a waterproof Dopp kit.
11. Garment Bag
These bags are made from soft materials and help transport dresses, suits, and jackets. The main purpose of these bags is to prevent your favorite clothing from getting dusty and developing creases while on the move. It is ideal for business travelers, fashion travelers, and event managers. Often these bags come with a shoe and bag compartment to help you try different looks.
When to carry : Work trips, event trips like weddings or reunions, and protecting finer clothes from wrinkling, dust, dirt, and odors.
Size : 60 cm to 165 cm
Material : Ethylene Vinyl Acetate, Polyester, Nylon, Breathable Non Woven Fabric
Best brand to buy : Zegur, WallyBags, Degeler, Modoker, Amazon Basics, briggs & riley, Travelpro
Website to buy : Amazon, Target, eBay, Walmart, Poshmark, Kohls, Macys
Price : From $14 Up to $59
Pros : 1) Using a garment bag is lot classier.
2) They’re used to transport nicer clothing, suits, jackets, and dresses so they don’t get wrinkled or dirty.
Cons : 1) They can be quite annoying to carry around.
2) Often aren’t long enough for long dresses or coats.
12. Fanny Pack
A fanny pack is a small and lightweight pouch that remains connected to a belt worn around your hips or waist. You can store either money or other small items in a fanny pack to keep your hands free as you enjoy different delicacies.
When to carry : Protecting your valuables. Theif steal your wallet, so they’re a lot more reliable than pockets or even purses.
Size : 17 cm to 31 cm
Material : Polyester, Nylon, PU leather
Best brand to buy : Jansport, Lululemon Athletica, Carhartt, Herschel, Patagonia, Ted Baker
Website to buy : Amazon, Target, Macys, Nnordstrom.com, Zappos, eBay, Poshmark
Price : From $8 Up to $43
Pros : They’re Hands-Fre, Security in crowded public transport, They are easy to wear, not expensive.
Cons : 1) These bags are quite small, Less Ideal for Bad Weather.
2) They can get crowded/over-filled and are far from practical at that point.
Best Selling Fanny Pack for Men & Women :
13. Vintage Suitcase
Radiate a rich Euro poet aura with a vintage suitcase that comes in different designs such as a hatbox, steamer trunk, or a luxe leather briefcase. These are well suited for travelers who levy greater importance on looks and fashion over durability and functionality.
When to carry : Those more interested in style, looks, and fashion over durability and functionality.
Size : 24 cm to 66 cm
Material : Wood, PU leather, Faux Leather
Best brand to buy : Delsey Paris, Cotrunkage, Uniwalker, Urecity, Steve Madden
Website to buy : Amazon, Etsy, eBay, Target, Walmart, Macys
Price : From $18 Up to $390
Pros : 1) That are guaranteed not to break easily even if they are used as checked luggage or as a carry-on.
2) If you want something that is different from the usually imprinted travel bags everyone.
Cons : Vintage suitcases aren’t exactly new so there’s a good chance they might look old and tattered.
14. Travel Trunk
This rectangular container is durable and hard-shelled for extended stays like long trips abroad, college, or while moving abroad. You can transport all your clothes and other valuables with easy in these travel bags.
When to carry : If you’re studying or working abroad for a while, a travel trunk is one way to transport all your valuables and clothes with ease.
Size : 56 cm to 92 cm
Material : Wood, Baltic Birch Plywood, RhinoTech ABS
Best brand to buy : Level8, Rhino Trunk & Case
Website to buy : Amazon, Rhinotrunkandcase.com, Walmart, eBay
Price : From $81 Up to $469
Pros : 1) It looks like you’re opening up a treasure chest full of riches every time you use it.
2) The quality of the materials will keep your belongings well protected during transportation even in bad weather conditions.
Cons : 1) Some trunks can be quite large, bulky, and clunky to move on your own. You might need help carrying it.
2) Hard to find a good storage solution for clothes.
15. Bucket Bag
This bag has derived its name from a unique bucket shape and is similar to the hobo bag except for the roomy interior and a round/flat or oval bottom. The shape helps this bag in sitting upright without toppling over. On average, a bucket bag can easily fit your different essentials including clothes, toiletries, and phone. Travelers who are trying to travel with minimal luggage can opt for tote bags featuring a drawstring closure.
When to carry : The average bag is big enough to fit all your essentials, including clothes, a few toiletries, and your phone.
Size : 18 cm to 32 cm
Material : Leather, Nylon, Synthetic
Best brand to buy : Calvin Klein, Afkomst, The Drop, Cole Haan, Ralph Lauren
Website to buy : Amazon, Nordstrom.com, Macys, Asos, Farfetch, eBay, Walmart, Zappos, Dillards.com
Price : From $23 Up to $139
Pros : 1) They feature a drawstring closure which makes it easy to open, get what you want, and close.
2) They are made of different materials for durability, such as leather.
Cons : 1) No zippers and a mere drawstring on top to close the bag results in a widely unsecured bag.
2) Not easy to stay organized.
3) The drawstring can open unintentionally without your knowledge, leading to loss of items.
16. Travel Handbag with Separate Shoe Compartment
Make the most of your overnight, weekend, and general travel with a travel handbag having a separate shoe compartment. Your entire luggage stays organized and clean as the shoes are stored separately from your clothes.
When to carry : Perfect for overnight, weekend and general travel!
Size : 26 cm to 53 cm
Material : Canvas, Faux Leather, Cotton, Nylon, Durable Polyester
Best brand to buy : Tumi, Travelpro, Herschel, Lululemon, Monos Metro, Bennett Winch, Samsonite
Website to buy : Amazon, Etsy, Walmart, eBay, Poshmark
Price : From $21 Up to $119
Pros : 1) You can stores your shoes or dirty clothes, keeps your shoes or dirty clothes separate from the main compartment.
2) Keeps you organized and takes the hassle out of packing!
Cons : If you tend to overpack, then you run the risk of putting some unnecessary stress on your back, neck and shoulders when the bag is full.
17. Packing Cubes Bag
Benefit from the organization and space we all seek while traveling with packing cubes bags. They feature multiple packing cubes so that you can easily organize your luggage whether for business travel, family breaks, camping, hiking, vacation, etc.
When to carry : Family Breaks, Business Travel, Vacation, Hiking, Camping, Trip etc.
Size : 22 cm to 49 cm
Material : Polyester, Nylon, Ethylene Vinyl Acetate, Mesh
Best brand to buy : Bagail, Amazon Basics, Dimj, Eagle Creek, Gonex , Veken
Website to buy : Amazon, Rei.com, Target, eBay, Walmart
Price : From $18 Up to $49
Pros : 1) If you’re looking for an easy way to organize your belongings while travelling.
2) Neat & Tidy, Dirty/Clean Separation
Cons : 1) Overweight, Potential Wasted Space.
2) You might not remember which packing cube the item you want is in, so you end up opening them all and making a mess. It can be a bit of a hassle.
A briefcase is a hard-sided bag equipped with a handle and meant for carrying essentials to business meetings.
When to carry : Business meetings
Size : 34 cm to 46 cm
Material : Vinyl, Aluminum exterior, PU leather, Genuine Leather, Polyester
Best brand to buy : Amazon Basics, Solo New York, Bagsmart, Herschel, Samsonite, Tumi
Website to buy : Amazon, Target, Walmart, eBay, Macys, Poshmark, Nordstrom.com, Ssense, Etsy, Lyst
Price : From $30 Up to $184
Pros : Briefcases typically have hard sides both inside and out, which protect your important documents from crinkling, thus protecting your professional image as well.
Cons : Can be easily stolen if you’re not careful.
Most Popular Briefcase for Men & Women :
Check out our handy chart below for luggage sizing by contents and length of trip :
|Length of Trip||Typical Contents||Type of Luggage|
|1 – 2 Days||
|3 – 5 Days||
|4 – 7 Days||
|Week-long trips and longer||
Size of Travel Bags
- Luggage with a weight capacity of either or less than 50 liters can be taken on a weekend trip. You can choose between designs of packs and carry-on duffels in this size.
- Luggage with a weight capacity of 50 to 75 liters is meant for a trip that lasts between one to two weeks.
- Luggage with a weight capacity of 75 to 100+ liters can cater to travelers going on big expeditions. However, it gets difficult to haul a large bag which is why it’s advisable to carry multiple smaller bags instead.
How to take measurements of travel bags
- For getting the height of your travel bag you need to measure from the bottom of the wheels to the tallest part or the handle of your bag.
- For getting the soft side width, you need to take measurements from side to side at the widest point which will be the back side of the suitcase. Hard shell bags are more symmetrical and their width measures the same from top to bottom.
- You can measure your travel luggage’s depth accurately by laying it flat on its back and measuring from the back to the front without expanding the bag. This measurement might vary if your bag is packed and you have a soft side bag.
Things to consider while choosing travel luggage
Size is the primary factor to consider while choosing your luggage. The last thing you would want is to get a suitcase which is difficult to move around. There might be times when you won’t get anyone else to help you with your luggage. Thus, its size should be such that can be handled by you alone. It’s recommended to get a travel suitcase measuring 22” x 9” x 14” or less.
- Bags with two wheels can’t be moved from side to side and are perfect for handling rough streets. A four-wheeled travel bag offers a high level of mobility and can be moved in any direction.
- The travel bag you chose should be of a distinguishable print or color so that it doesn’t get mistaken for someone else’s bag and can be spotted easily on the luggage carousel. Colors like white and cream should be avoided as they serve as dirt magnets.
- A piggyback clip is a looped clip at the top of the bag which allows clipping it to another one. You can separately purchase such an attachment if your suitcase doesn’t already have one.
- It becomes easier to navigate a suitcase with telescoping handles as you get to pull the weight rather than carry it.
- Getting expandable suitcases can serve as an added plus but this might mean that they will no longer fit in the overhead bin.
- It becomes easier to organize all your belongings if your luggage has extra pockets and compartments.
- Security locks are an absolute must whether your suitcases have an internal locking system or zippers with space for a travel lock.
- It’s always advisable to get travel bags in water-resistant materials or ones with a moisture-resistant sealant on the inside. This can keep your bags functional even in adverse weather conditions like rain and snowfall.
- You can maneuver the luggage easily when it has top and side handles. This gets especially helpful when you need to place it overhead on the plane side cabin.
- The stretchy and adjustable tie-down straps help compress your belongings securely in place when everything is in your suitcase.
- Soft shell bags are perfect if you are planning on using them as a carry-on as they are lightweight and can be squeezed easily into overhead lockers. Hard shell bags are better suited for regular vacations. Though they can protect your belongings better, they are vulnerable to cracking and breaking.
- Budget-conscious travelers should stick to a two-bar handle as it’s sturdier compared to a one-bar in cheap luggage.
- Wheels of your travel luggage should be of skateboard quality.
- Keep your luggage buffered from water damage caused by rain by getting hard cases with a latch system.
- A trusty lock can keep your belongings secure from falling into the wrong hands.
- Cable ties are a cheaper alternative to locks. They come in different colors and can be installed easily.
- You can prevent people from stealing from your bag or slipping illegal items into your case with shrink wrapping.
Travel luggage tends to be expensive. If you travel now and then, it’s better to invest in a high-quality one that will stand the test of time. Usually, expensive bags come backed with a manufacturer’s warranty which can keep you buffered from defects or other problems.
Traveling gets harder when you have a heavy piece of luggage for company. Bags with wheels are comparatively heavier than unwheeled bags. If you are going on a trip that involves traveling over rough surfaces and going on trails, then chances are high that you will spend a lot of time carrying your bags. In such cases, it’s best to forgo wheels and opt for a duffel bag that can be carried easily and shoved into tight places.