Which Finger and Hand You should Wear Wedding Ring? Infographics
Have you ever wondered why you wear your wedding ring on a particular hand? Is it something to do with tradition or there is a scientific reason behind it. People in some countries wear it on their right hand while in some wear it on their left hand. Does such thing ever intrigue you? It is always interesting to look behind reasons for all these small facts.
Reason for Why Wedding ring on Left Hand
To begin with, most of the people in Asian countries and some of the European countries wear their wedding bands on the left hand. But, in countries like India, wedding ring on left hand is avoided as left hand is regarded as impure.
In both Germany and Netherlands, couples first don golden engagement rings on their left hand fingers. Once they get married the rings change hands that depict status change.
This trend of wearing wedding rings on left hand began during start of 18th century.
Countries where couples where wedding rings on the left hand
- Czech Republic
- New Zealand
- South Africa
- United Kingdom
Reason for Why Wedding ring on Right Hand
The ancient Romans and Egyptians wore wedding ring on right hand as left hand was deemed unreliable and unhappy. In countries such as Lebanon, Syria, Turkey and Brazil before the wedding, the ring is worn on right hand and after wedding is solemnized it is put on the left.
Why the ring is worn on the ring finger?
The ancient Romans and Egyptians had this belief that nerve or the vein from the ring finger goes directly to the heart. This vein was called “the vein of love” and in case the ring was not put on this finger, this meant that your heart is already taken by someone else.
According to the Chinese theory, place your both hands together and blend the middle finger together leaving other finger’s tip touching each other perfectly. Then try to separate each fingers and you will find you can not separate the ring finger which represents the relation of husband and wife.
- Thumb = Parents
- Pointer = Brothers & Sister
- Middle Finger= You
- Ring Finger = Life Partner
- Pinky = Children
Countries where couples where wedding rings on the right hand
- In Sri Lanka the bride and groom wear wedding rings on separate hands. The groom wears the wedding ring on right and his bride on the left hand.
- In most of the Muslim nations this tradition of wearing wedding rings is not there.
- Iran is an exception to the rule; both men and women wear wedding ring on left ring finger.
- In Jordan both men and women wear wedding ring on the right finger.
- In some countries wedding rind is worn on left hand but in case the spouse dies it is worn on ring finger of the right hand. This symbolizes everlasting bond with the late spouse.
- Prior to 2nd World War no wedding ring was worn by the soldiers. Later on soldiers began to wear the rings as a reminder that they have somebody at home waiting for their safe return. The ring was then worn in the left hand.
- A Greek bride wears ring on her left hand before marriage and transfers the same to her rand hand ring finger once she gets married.
Wedding rings are basically a symbol of love and affection. There can be no law which governs where they need to be worn. So, at end of the day the choice is entirely yours!