73 Basic Fashion Rules to follow – Style Guide for Men
People often say that rules are meant to be broken. However, there are some rules that you should strictly adhere to, like the rules that help you look attractive! With menswear becoming richer as well as avant-garde, it becomes vital for men to know these fashion rules for avoiding a potential faux pas. For all the fashion-savvy men out there, here are some crucial commandments of the fashion world which you should never bend.
1. When you are wearing a polo T-shirt, its sleeves should not be too loose and it should end between the middle and three-quarters of your bicep.
3. The front hem of a shirt should fall between the mid-fly to the end of the zipper, and the back hem should fall between the middle and the bottom of the back pockets, so a shirt shorter than this should be left untucked and a longer shirt should always be tucked in.
2. If your suit jacket has just one button, always keep that button fastened. For a two-buttoned jacket, keep the top button fastened while leaving the bottom one unbuttoned. For a three-buttoned suit jacket, it is optional to fasten the top button while the middle one should always be buttoned. Again, keep the last button loose, Follow these buttoning rules for the time when you are standing. When you are sitting down, unbutton your suit jacket to prevent creasing.
5. The width of a bow tie should be similar to the width between the two outer corners of your eyes, a smaller bow tie will make your face look enlarged will a bigger bow tie will make it look smaller.
22. Always pick jeans whose waistline encircles your body 2 to 3 inches below your belly button.
8. Are you applying perfume right? 90% of people are doing it wrong Spray the scent from a distance of at least six inches so that the fragrance doesn’t form a concentrated puddle in one area of your skin. Apply the perfume to your chest or biceps so that it lasts longer.
7. Your tie should just brush the top of your belt-line. The knot of the tie should be big enough to cover the collar band and the top button behind it.
4. Solid colored ties should contrast and darker than the shirt, but for multi-colored ties, the main color of tie should contrast while the secondary color always matches with the shirt color, team a small pattern tie with a large pattern shirt and vice-versa, while avoid combining tie and shirts with a similar pattern.
12. Always wear your lapel pin, screw, nut, magnet or boutonniere higher up than your pocket square, by attaching it to the buttonhole at 1 to 1.5 inches of the notch on the left lapel.
9. A solid-colored pocket square is recommended for beginners; never match the pattern of the tie with a pocket square. When in doubt, go for a classic white pocket square.
10. Pocket length for formal trousers should be 8 inches and 6.5 inches for jeans trousers.
11. For a checked shirt, go for trousers in the color of the darkest check on the shirt, or the color which is in the lowest proportion or contrast in case of multi-colored checks.
13. Rather, pinch the outer edge of jeans and pull it tightly against the inside of your ankle before rolling and get the ideal tightness.
14. Calf length socks are ideal for formal attire so that you do not flash naked skin, while no show, crew or ankle length socks should be worn only with casual wear.
15. When selecting a hat, make sure that it sits 1/8 inches above your ears and the color complements your intended attire.
16. The shoulder seam of the T-Shirt should end with your shoulder line, there should not be a drop. The sleeves should fit well and sit properly on your triceps region.
17. A well-fitted buttoned collar should not compress your neck, you must be able to slide two fingers easily between the collar and your neck.
18. Your shirt cuff should give you 1 to 1.5 inches ease, you should be able to slip in two fingers through a buttoned cuff.
19. While it is appropriate to roll your cuffs at your workplace outside your boardroom meeting, make sure the rolled cuff sits on your elbows.
20. Go for a military tuck so that your large shirt side seams don’t balloon out from the trouser waistband, by pinching fabric on each seam side with your thumb and finger and tucking in your shirt.
21. Ensure that one-fourth to half-inches of your shirt’s cuff is visible from underneath your coat.
24. An ideal tie width should match the lapel’s widest point, and the collar fall should cover under the lapel of the jacket
25. When choosing a pocket square, pick the same fabric that your suit is made up of.
27. Wear a crew neck undershirt only when you plan to wear a necktie, opt for a V neck undershirt if you want to keep the top button of your shirt undone as a crew neck would be visible to the onlooker.
28. You can roll up your sleeves with a finesse for a less than formal scenario- they should look flat, not bulky after rolling up. Your rolled up sleeves should end up halfway on your forearm or your elbow, no higher up.
29. Do not wear a lapel pin or screw and nut if your jacket has a shawl lapel, instead go for a boutonniere or magnet.
30. If you have to attend a funeral, go for a long full sleeves shirt with trousers that extend over your ankle and remember to keep your neck covered.
33. When in doubt which color to choose for your pocket square, pick the classic white colored one that suits every jacket and occasion.
34. Wear the right shoes for the right occasions- do not wear your athletic shoes to your workplace, they are strictly meant for working out or outdoor activities, Similarly, save your Chelsea boots for your formal wear, and your desert boots or suede chukka boots for a smart-casual style, Your loafers or Moccasins are suited for semi-formal occasions, but those espadrilles, boat shoes or slip–ons are essentially for casual purposes, If you want to indulge in some power dressing for a corporate setup, you should have shoes like Oxford, Derby, Brogues, Double Monks, Blucher shoes, Tassel loafers, etc. in your closet.
35. To all the skinny men out there- baggy clothes or tightly-fitted outfits will make your thin frame even heavier or skinniest, clothes with a regular fit are the right choice for you! Short men should wear high-rise trousers with a matching belt to create an illusion of height, while tall men should opt for low-rise trousers with a contrasting colored belt.
36. The ideal belt width for a formal belt is 1.5 inches, and for a casual belt is 1.75 inches, while belt with a width less than 1.5 inches are considered semi-formal.
37. Clip-on suspenders go well with casual trousers, but the clip shouldn’t be too tight or too loose.
38. Pastel colors are the new craze in men’s fashion if you want to wear a pastel-colored shirt pair it with trousers with minimalistic prints- large prints are a strict no, follow the same rule for pastel-hued pants.
39. Suspenders with braces button tab that is attached to the inner side of the trousers are suitable for formal occasions whereas those attached outside are ideal for casual occasions.
40. Men with short necks should wear a shawl, zipper, or stand collar that will make their neck look elongated.
41. Wear your varsity jacket with a round neck Tee or Cuban collar shirt, and avoid collar staples like spread or cutaway.
42. Pair your bomber jacket with a round neck T-shirt or Cuban collar shirt, not with a spread or cutaway collar.
43. Never wear more than two bright or pop colors together, leave the rest of the outfits muted to complete your entire attire.
44. They both perform the same function that is to keep your pants up! So choose between one of them.
45. Wear only one lapel pin or boutonniere with your outfit, unless wearing multiple pins are required as a part of your uniform or to show organizational
46. Button-on suspenders that are fastened using buttons to the back of your trousers are great for weddings, black-tie events, etc.
47. Perfect Jackets for a man need to reach just till the end of the spinal cord, right where the curve of the buttock starts. This region is beyond the waistline and the region where the buttocks start curving towards the body is the perfect region.
48. Mock collars are suited for individuals with short necks, while men with longer neck should go for turtlenecks.
49. Pleats on a trouser provide space and flexibility to the legs, so men with wider legs should prefer double pleated pants over single pleated ones.
50. While Denim jacket gives your outfit a stylish twist, avoid tonal match while wearing a denim jacket by partnering it, for instance, pair a light-colored denim jacket with a dark t-shirt and light or dark pants, and vice-versa.
51. Keep your formal shirts buttoned up, right till the collar. When you are wearing a casual shirt, do not unbutton more than two buttons to avoid looking sleazy.
52. If you stay in a warm or sunny place, choose an unlined, quarter-lined, or half-lined jacket rather than a fully lined jacket that will leave you drenched in sweat.
53. If you are wearing jeans in cold weather, be prepared to endure frozen legs- so avoid them or rather opt for the ones that have an inner insulating layer.
54. Wear solid colored, matching socks with your formal trousers, and save those white socks for sportswear.
55. Invest in dress shirt stay so that excess of the fabric doesn’t balloon out in the office.
56. If you live in a place that experiences biting cold, opt for feather-filled down jackets instead of fleece or woolen jackets for the best protection.
57. Always carry a clean handkerchief with you, with the ideal size being 12 into 12 inches.
58. Jackets made from angora or cashmere wool are ideal for winters, but cotton and denim jackets are a strict no-no as they won’t keep you warm.
59. The bottom or trouser cuffs should break on the top of the shoes.
60. For a formal setup, wear socks long enough so that you do not display any naked skin while sitting.
61. Avoid wearing t-shirts and hoodies with a big logo
62. If you are one of the many people who are allergic to wool, fleece jackets are the right alternative for you.
63. While wearing metallic accessories, go for matching metal colors like a silver watch with a silver chain or silver belt buckle, and avoid mismatched combinations like a golden watch with a silver chain, etc.
64. There is no specific rule for how to wear a bandana as it is versatile in styles and purpose, however, its ideal length should be 21 x 21 inches.
65. To stay comfortable in ruthless summers, wear fabrics like linen, cotton, madras, pima, poplin, etc.
66. A neutral color palette is menswear classic- neutral colors like white, beige, grey, etc. effortlessly blend with any garment, while bright colors should be used with great caution.
67. If you are wondering which suit to pack for your business trip, choose a Fresco suit as it is durable and ideal for summers too.
68. Solaro suit is another great investment for the summers, and its red sheen can flatter the appearance of every man!
69. Techwear is more than cyberpunk fashion- it focuses on providing utility like water resistance, insulation from heat, etc. so before you make a purchase ensure the purpose of the outfit matches your requirements.
70. Sandals are meant to let your feet breathe. Wearing socks with sandals is a cardinal fashion sin.
71. If folding the pocket square perfectly is a struggle for you, get yourself a pocket square holder which simplifies your work.
72. Polyutherine jackets are meant to save you from drizzle and rain, while the polyester jacket is for windy days.
73. There are simple five ways to look smart.
Other General Tips
- On a similar note, if you are buying activewear ensure that its synthetic fabric provides you the intended benefits- greater movement, sweat absorption, functionality for your choice of sport, etc.
- Garments made from plain or linen weaved structured cloth are ideal for humid conditions as they do not stick to your body but they facilitate
- Hopsack weave demands your attention in summers- they are light-weight and breathable, they do not wrinkle easily so take them along when you are traveling, and they look fabulous as well!
- Good quality shoes with proper cushioning are not just stylish, they provide your heels and backbone the right posture and comfort- so always invest in a pair of good shoes and stay away from cheap ones.
- Instead of wearing T-shirts with crew necks, try wearing Henley tees or Polo shirts to give a spin to your casual attire.
- If your garment has been tucked away in the closet for too long and your physique has undergone changes, you must get your outfits altered for a proper fit.
- Those sweat patches on your underarms kill your formal look, so do wear an undershirt to look clean and dapper.
- When you are not sure of an appropriate outfit for an occasion, prefer plain colors, and avoid anything experimental.
- Nothing can spoil your suave look more than dusty shoes- so keep them shined and polished whenever you can!
- The best of outfits will look sloppy and untidy if they are not ironed. Always wear ironed clothes to look tidy, crisp, and assertive.
- Make sure your printed clothes get ironed once they have been washed and dried- otherwise, the creases will look prominent on misshapen prints and attract the kind of attention that you would not like!
- If you want to sport baggy pants, avoid upper garments with a close-fitted silhouette and team it with loose jackets.
- Figure-hugging trousers should be paired with fitted tops to create a balanced look.
- Extremely light colors do not suit men with darker skin.
- White T-shirt with blue denim trousers is the definition of classic attire in men’s fashion- cast away your doubts and put them on when you are not able to decide your outfit.
- Understand the Occasion for Your Attire, Your flip-flops and baggy pants are your casuals. You can wear them to your neighbor’s barbeque, but never use them as business casuals!
- Front hemline and both sleeves of shirt should be in line while standing up straight.
While trends may come and go, suaveness remains forever. Rather than leaving things to chance, memorize these fashion rules to look handsome and debonair every day!